Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Maharashtra has 48 minor ports spread over a distance of 720 km. of sea coast. It is the most industrialized state in the country. The completion of Konkan Railway along the West coast from Mumbai to Mangalore has added further impetus for the development of the coastal area.
The Government of Maharashtra has selected seven sites from the 48 minor ports for development of port facilities in the first phase of the program. They are Vadhavan, Dighi, Dabhol, Jaigad, Ganeshpule, Redi and Vijaydurg. All these sites have adequate natural depth and a fairly protected area for developing port facilities. They have adequate land available for construction of storage areas warehouses or industrial parks.
LIST OF MINOR PORTS IN MAHARASHTRA
1.Dahanu 2.Tarapur 3.Nawapur
4.Satpati 5.Kelva-Mahim 6.Arnala-Datiware
7.Bassein 8.Uttan 9.Manori
10.Versova 11.Bandra 12.Bhiwandi
13.Kalayan 14.Thane 15.Trombay
16.Ulwa Belapur-Panvel 17.Mora 18.Karanja
19.Mandwa 20.Thal-Revas 21.Alibag
22.Revdanda 23.Borli-Mandla 24.Nandgaon
28.Shrivardhan 29.Mandad 30.Bankot
31.Harnai 32.Kelshi 33.Dabhol
34.Palshet 35.Borya 36.Jaigad
37.Varoda 38.Ratnagiri 39.Purnagad
40.Jaitapur 41.Vijaydurg 42.Devgad
43.Achra 44.Malvan 45.Nivti
46.Vengurla 47.Kiranpani 48.Redi
The Vengurla Taluka (Tehsil) of Sindhudurg district is one of the most
beautiful place on the earth with lot of greenery , beautiful nature &
lovely seashore. It is very much like Goa & can be called as the " Pride of Konkan ". The Vengurla Taluka consists of the
following villages :
Name of Village & famous Temples
( Ref : Goa : Hindu Temples & Deities by Rui Gomes Pereira ,1978 ,Pages iii,31 to 36)
As per the book , following deities find importance in Goa and are worshipped by many , including GSBs and others:
Brahma (God of Creator)
Temple at Carambolim of Ilhas which was transferred to Chandidogrem of Satari taluka
Saraswati or Sharada :( Goddess of knowlegde)
Only one temple at Verem , Bardez
is the most venerated God in Goa.
A great no. of temples of Shiva are under the invocation of Ishwara for e.g Saptakoteshwar , Kapileshwar ,Kudneshwar,Mangesh or Manguirish , Nagesh or Nagnath , Mahadev Malikarjuna,Nirakar,Nilkanth,Bhalchandra,Gangadhar,Shambhu,Sadashiv,Shankar,Bhutnatha,Kashinatha,Trimbak, & Mahesh.
Shiva is symbolised by "Linga".
Parvati : (Shakti of Shiva)
Parvati is the shakti of Shiva and like him , greatly venerated under several invocations as the goddess of peace (Shantadurga or Santeri).She is invoked under the names of Uma ,Bhavani,Navadurga ,Vijayadurga,Mahamaya,Bhagvati,Mahishasurmardini,Chamunda,Asthabhuja etc.The goddess Kali is also Parvati.
Vishnu is the god who is also most venerated under various invocations of Vitthal,Damodar,Vithoba,Narayan,Ananta,Madhava,Atchuta,Hari,Pundalik,Pandurang , etc...
There are also his temples under the invocations of his incarnations or "Avatars" like Narsimha,Vaman, Parshuram,Rama & Krishna.
Vishnu is symbolised by "Shaligram".
Lakshmi(Goddess of Wealth)
is the shakti of Vishnu and is venerated by names like Mahalakshmi,Mhalsa,Gajan-Lakshmi , Kamaksha, etc.
Other deities :
The other deities which as regards veneration find themselves on par with the above referred deities are the following :
LIST OF TEMPLES IN GOA
Lord Shiva Temples (including Kalbhairav,Vetal)
Mangesh-Priol, Nagesh-Bandiwade,Rudreshwar-Harvalem,Saptakoteshwar-Narve,Gomanteshwar-Brahmapuri,Kudneshwar-Kudne,Dhareshwar-Dhargal,Bhutnath-Astasahaar,Somnath-Dabhal,Kalnath-Kaal,Siddheshwar-Khurl,Chandreshwar-Parole,Kurpeshwar-Kurpe,Kapileshwar-Kaale,Someshwar-Kurdi,Sapteshwar-Mandre,Kamleshwar-Korgaon,Moleshwar-Riwan,Ramnath-Bandiwade & Astagrahar & Talawade,Nagnath-Naikini,Siddhanath-Astagrahaar
Mallikarjun at- Sange,Astagrahaar,Gaon Dongre,Cancone
Mahadev at – Sankorde,Kudchade,Mulay,Parode,Pisurle,Kakorde
Kalbhairav- Dhargal, Ramnathi
Lord Vishnu Temples (including ShriRam,Shri Vitthal,Parshuram,LakshmiNrusihma)
Damodar at – Jhambavli, Lolaye
Laxminarayan- Narve & Mhapsa & Shivolim
Vitthal-Rakhumai at – Sankhalim, Mulgaon,Sangem,Mhapse,Kaamurli,Madgaon
ShriRamSita at – Dongri(Mandoor),Pilgaon,Colval
Venkatesh at- Nanivade
Navadurga at – Madkaim,Kundaim,Borim,Pali,Poinguin,Surla,Adkolna,Banastari
Shantadurga at – Kavale,Astagrahaar,Mandrem,Kunkalikarin,Mashel,Phatarpa,Pirna,Sankhalim,Chimulkarin at Mashel,Advalpal,Borde,Kaalapur,Pilgaon,Balli,Vanode,Khandepar,Vagurve,Dhargal,Tivre,Kerim,Gothan,Sankhwal,Aamone
Mauli at – Torse,Menkure,Warkhond
Mahalakshmi at – Bandiwade,Panaji
Bhagwati at – Tuye,Pedne,Mashel,Khandole
Mahalasa at – Mhardol, Verne
Mhamayi at- Astagrahaar, Kalamba
Sateri at – Madgaon,Aalorne,Vinode,Parol,Lathwarse,Khorli-Mhapse
Bhumika at – Chopde,Pariye,Paalihe,Saale,Mandre
Morja Devi- Morji,Pedne
This deity , Shri Navadurga , originally belonged to Gavasi in Tiswadi Taluka of Goa. This place is very near from Madkai.By road , one has to get down near Pillar in old Goa and go towards Neura , Dongri-- on Aagshi Road.
Once upon a time , it is said that Gavasi was a very beautiful Town of Tiswadi .As per the Purabhilekha Karyalaya of Panaji , in the manusript, The Register of Lands in Sashti ( 1553 A.D to 1562 A.D) , Gavasi was second main town of Tiswadi taluka.
As per the records , Shri Navadurga , Shri Bhavanath ( Sant) & Shri Narayan were the main temples of Gavasi.The then Shri Navadurga Temple , owned major lands & Property in this vicinity.
It is believed that this deity must have existed in Goa since the 10th Century.However , during portuguese invasion in the 16th Century, people had to flee & this deity was shifted by her then devotees to a safe place outside Goa , but very near from Goa , at Kanyale -Redi , in Vengurla Taluka of Maharashtra.Since then , she has been at the present place for last about 450 years.
At present Gavasi is said to be under-populated with hardly few people ,& major portion is covered with dense forest .
Goddess Lakshmi, is known for her 108 different names , out of which , one name is "Navadurga ".The details about other names of Lakshmi are as follows :
Prakruti - Nature
Vikruti - Multi-Faceted Nature
Vidya - Wisdom
Sarvabhootahitaprada - Granter of Universal Niceties
Shraddha - Devoted
Vibhuti - Wealth
Surabhi - Celestial Being
Paramatmika - Omnipresence
Vachi - Nectar-Like Speech
Padmalaya - Residing On The Lotus
Padma - Lotus
Shuchi - Embodiment of Purity
Swaha - Shape of Swahadevi(Auspicious)
Swadha - Shape of Swadhadevi(Inauspicious)
Sudha - Nectar
Dhanya - Personification of Gratitude
Hiranmayi - Golden Appearance
Lakshmi - Goddess of Wealth
NityaPushta - Gaining strength Day By Day
Vibha - Radiant
Aditi - Radiant Like The Sun
Deetya - Answer Of Prayers
Deepta - Flame-Like
Vasudha - Earth
Vasudharini - Bearing the the Burden of Earth
Kamala - Lotus
Kantha - Consort of Vishnu
Kamakshi - One with Attractive Eyes
Kamalasambhava - Emanating from the Lotus
Anugrahaprada - Granter of Good Wishes
Buddhi - Wisdom
Anagha - Sinless
Navadurga - All Nine Forms of Durga
Harivallabhi - Consort of Lord Hari
Ashoka - Dispeller of Sorrows
Amrutha - Nectar
Deepa - Radiant
Lakashokavinashini - Remover of Universal Agonies
Dharmanilaya - Establisher of Eternal Law
Karuna - Compassionate
Lokamatri - Mother of the Universe
Padmapriya - Lover of Lotus
Padmahasta - Having Lotus-Like Hands
Padmakshya - Lotus-eyed
Padmasundari - Beautiful Like the Lotus
Padmodbhava - One Who Emerged Out of the Lotus
Padmamukhi - Lotus-Faced
Padmanabhapriya - Beloved of Padmanabha
Ramaa - Pleaser of the Lord
Padmamaladhara - Wearer of Lotus Garland
Devi - Goddess
Padmini - Lotus
Padmagandhini - Having the Fragrance of Lotus
Punyagandha - Having Divine Perfume
Suprasanna - Ever Cheerful and Beaming
Prasadabhimukhi - Emerging to Grant Boons
Prabha - Radiant Like the Sun
Chandravadana - Moon-Faced
Chanda - Cool Like the moon
Chandrasahodari - Sister of the Moon
Chaturbhuja - with four arms
Chandrarupa - Moon-Faced
Indira - Radiant like the Sun
Indusheetala - Cool like the Moon
Ahladajanani - Source of Happiness
Pushti - Healthy
Shiva - Auspicious
Shivakari - Source of Auspicious Things
Satya - All Truth
Vimala - Pure
Vishwajanani - Mother of the Universe
Pushti - Possessor of All Wealth
Daridriyanashini - Remover of Poverty
Preeta Pushkarini - One with Pleasing Eyes
Shanta - Full with peace or Calm
Shuklamalambara - Wearer of White Garland and Attire
Bhaskari - Radiant like the Sun
Bilvanilaya - Resider Under Bilva Tree
Vararoha - Ready to Offer Boons
Yashaswini - Reputed
Vasundhara - Daughter of the Earth
Udaranga - Endowed with a Beautiful Body
Harini - Deer-Like
Hemamalini - Having Golden Garlands
Dhanadhanyaki - Bestower of Wealth and Foodgrains
Siddhi - Ever Ready to Protect
Straina Soumya - Showering Goodness on Women
Shubhaprada - Granter of Auspicious Things
Nrupaveshvagathananda - Loves to Live in Palaces
Varalakshmi - Granter of Bounty
Vasuprada - Bestower of Wealth
Shubha - Auspicious
Hiranyapraka - Amidst Gold
Samudratanaya - Beloved Daughter of the Ocean of Milk
Jaya - Goddess of Victory
Mangala - Most Auspicious
Devi - The Deity
Vishnuvakshah - Residing in Vishnu's Chect
Vishnupatni - Consort of Vishnu
Prasannakshi - Lively-Eyed
Narayana Samashrita - Sought Refuge in Narayana
Daridriya Dhwamsini - Destroyer of Poverty
Devi - Goddess
Sarvapadravanivarini - Dispeller of all Distresses
Mahakali - A Form of Kali
Brahma-Vishnu-Shivatmika - Trinity of Brahma-Vishnu-Shiva
Trikala-dnyanasampanna - Aware of all 3 -the Past, Present and Future
Bhuvaneshwarya - Supreme Deity
Shri Navadurga Devasthan ,
Kanyale - Redi , Taluka - Vengurla
District - Sindhudurg , Maharashtra , INDIA.
PIN : 416517
Contact nos: Marathe Guruji (0-9373519928), Ranade Guruji (0-9420258772)
How to arrive at the Temple :
On the Mumbai –Goa Road , one has to get down at Vengurla or Sawantwadi .From there no. of State Transport buses available to go to Redi or direct to Kanyale. , via Aronda and Shiroda.This journey is of about 1 to 1 ½ Hours .From Mauli Temple of Redi , Shri NavaDurga Devasthan is at about 1.5 Km distance .Autos are available.One can walk from Redi towards Kanyale in 20-25 minutes. From Goa side , you need to arrive at Terekhol creek first via Siolim & Keri. Ferry Boats are available to cross the creek and to arrive at Terekhol fort side. From here , Kanyale is at a distance of about 2 Kms by shortest walking route .By Vehicle Road , it is approx. 10 kms from Terekhol.
From Goa, two more paths : 1) via Satarda-Malewad 2)via Kiranpani
Another route from Goa is to come from Pedne by road which crosses a bridge and you have to pass Ajgaon to come towards Shiroda.
Picture of Navadurga at Kundai,Goa
SHRI NAVADURGA OF MADKAI (MADKAIM),GOA.
This deity is said to be originally from Gancim( Gavasi) in Tiswadi , Goa.The Neck of the Goddess is slightly bent and there is said to be a story behind it.
This is a huge temple with a pond in front of it.Most Mahajans are with "Kamat " Surname.Recently this Temple has been renovated and has many accomodations available.At present, Day to Day Pooja activities are carried out by Shri Ghaisas Guruji who has been doing this for years.
There are 2 ways of arriving at the Temple :
1. via Ponda-Ramnathi-Bandivade-Nageshi to Madkai.(about 16 kms)
2. via Mangeshi,Priol- Kundai to Madkai.(about 12 Kms)
Annual Jatra is held in November.
SHRI NAVADURGA OF KUNDAI (KUNDAIM),GOA.
Kundai temple is at a distance of 6 kms from Madkai. It seems the original deity "Durga Devi " at Gavasi(Gancim) , Tiswadi, Goa was re-installed during portuguese invasion at 3 places -Redi-Vengurla , Madkai ,& Kundai.All these 3 temples are more than 450 years old, they say. Kundai again have " Kamat" as many Mahajans.The idol of Goddess Navadurga is very impressive and woth visiting. It resembles that of Navadurga at Redi.The present day to day Pooja activities are carried out by Shri Joshi Guruji.
SHRI NAVADURGA OF PAINGEIN (POINGUINIM), CANACONE,GOA.
I happened to visit this temple for the first time in May 2001 while going from Goa to Karwar, Karnatak.This is said to be the oldest temple in Paingein, in Canacone taluka of goa.The idol of Shri Navadurga is very beautiful and this temple is located on a hill top which has about 81 steps to climb.From the temple, we can see greenery all over the surrounding. Very nice & worth visiting !
Paingein is at a distance of about 66 kms from Ponda,Goa on the Madgaon-Karwar Road.From Karwar, it is just at a distance of 31 kms.
Paingein also happens to have the oldest Parshuram Temple , worth visiting. This is said to be even older than the one at Chiplun in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra.The idols of Parshuram & Purushottam Dev are very beautiful.There are 5 main temples in Paingein ( called Panchayatan) , they are - Parshuram,Purushottam Dev,Navadurga , Betal( Vetal) , & Lakshminarayan.
The Paingein village is very beautiful & rich with nature.Nature lovers & Temple lovers - do visit this place.
Picture of Shri Rameshwar Temple, Vengurla.
SINDHUDURG DISTRICT,MAHARASHTRA - INFORMATION,SITE SEEING,TEMPLES & BEACHES
The Konkan region of Maharashtra is divided into 6 districts - Mumbai, Mumbai Suburban,Raigad,Thane, Ratnagiri, & Sindhudurg.
In the naturally rich & beautiful Konkan Region of Maharashtra , lies the Sindhudurg district near the Goa border with a total area of about 5207 Sq. Km and has about 743 villages.The nearest airport is at Dabolim-GOA.
Important Stations in Sindhudurg are 1)Nandgaon Road 2) Vaibhavwadi Road 3) Kankavli 4) Sawantwadi Road 5)Kudal 6) Sindhudurgnagari.
Just few years back ,it has been declared as a Tourist District by the Government. It is situated on the south-west coast line of Maharashtra. & surrounded by Arabian Sea on the west.On the east are the ranges of Sahyadri. Towards the north is the Ratnagiri district , while Goa is towards its south. Sindhudurg has a huge coastal line of approx. 121 kms.National Highway 17 passes through this area. With 7 railway stations, a 105 Km stretch of Konkan Railway line passes through this district. It has good road and rail links with Goa and Mumbai.There are 8 Tehsils (Talukas ) in this district namely ---Devgad ,Vaibhavwadi ,Kankavli ,Malwan , Kudal ,Vengurla, Dodamarg & Sawantwadi .Seven rivers flow in this district . Important rivers are 1) Terekhol 2) Gad 3) Devgad 4) Karli 5) Vaghotan.
The people of Sindhudurg District mostly speak Malvani, though Marathi and English are also spoken.
Cities in the district include Sawantvadi, Kudal, Oros, Kankavli, Devgad, Vengurla and Malvan. Smaller towns include Nerur, Katta, Kalse, Banda and the hill resort of Amboli.
Sindhudurg has lot many tourist attraction spots / temples as well as historical places .Among them are ---the famous Sindhudurg Sea-fort at Malwan built by the Great Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj & other forts like Padamgad , Sarjekot , Rajkot . Nivti , Bharatgad and Bhagwantgad .
At a distance of 7 kms from Malwan is "Tarkarli " beach .Dhamapur lake , near from Malwan has become an attraction now.Malwan is also famous for its Sea-shore ,Cashew nuts and the Jatra (Annual Festival) of BharadiDevi at Aangnewadi- Masure.
In Devgad region ,major attraction spots are– the Seashore, Vijaydurg Sea fort , & Kunkeshwar temple ( Shiva , about 15 kms from Devgad ) .
Sawantwadi is famous for its Wooden Toys , Narendra Hill , Moti lake,Palace,& Amboli hill station (Hiranyakeshi,Mahadevgad point,Shirgaonkar point,Sunset Point & Nagartas waterfall).
Great Saints like Shri Satam Maharaj of Danoli, Shri Raul Maharaj of Pinguli, Shri Tembeswami of Mangaon ,Shri Bhalchandra Maharaj of Kankavli belong to this Sindhudurg district.
In & around Vengurla ,there are lot many places to see like its clean & beautiful Sea-shore , Sagareshwar (Shiva)Temple , which is built in the Sands , Shri Mauli Devi Temple at Shiroda & Redi , Shri Navadurga Temple ,Shri Redi Ganesh Temple (with only two hands) , Shri RamPurush Temple & Swayambhoo Shiva Temple at Redi . Also Shri Vetoba & Shri Sateri Devi Temple at Aaravali-Shiroda , the Shiroda Sea-shore ,and Shri Vetaleshwar Temple at Ajgaon are worth visiting among the others.
Rameshwar (Shiva) Temple is the Gramdaivat of Vengurla.Also there is a beautiful temple of Sateri Devi in Vengurla.
Shiroda has a historic importance that the Salt Satyagraha of 1930 took place here. Salt is still produced here in plenty. Soil in this Konkan region is very different ,with rich greenery everywhere and a pleasant atmosphere.
Forts in Sindhudurg District:
Sindhudurg , Vijaydurg , Yashwantgad, Nivti,Gagangad , Santoshgad , Mahadevgad , Raangna
Ghats in Sindhudurg District:
Fonda , Gaganbaawda
Beaches in Sindhudurg District:
Redi, Shiroda,Velagar,Sagartirth,Mochemad,Sagareshwar,Baagayat,Waayangani,Kondura,Kaalvi Port,Khavne,Nivti,Bhogwe,Devbaug,Tarkarli,Malwan ,Chivla,Aachra,Taambaldeg,Mithbaav
Creeks(Back Water)in Sindhudurg District:
Famous Waterfalls in Sindhudurg District:
Amboli ,Naapane, Naagartaas
Dam in sindhudurg district:Tilaari
Places of Interest in & around Vengurla :
- Rameshwar Temple - Ancient Gram Devta ( God Shiva – main god of the city ) of Vengurla. Very near from Vengurla S.T Bus Stand.This is a very big temple , very beautiful & worth visiting.
- Shri Devi Navadurga Temple,Kanyale-Redi,Vengurla - Originally from Goa.Worth visiting.Beautiful Idol of Navadurga.Ancient Gram Devta of Kanyale-Redi,Vengurla. Very near from Terekhol fort,Goa
- Vengurla Port & Harbour– Once upon a time , a very busy sea port in this area. It still has a light house.Sagar Guesthouse is nearby.A very beautiful view of the Sea can be seen from here. Also Terekhol river & Goa border are visible.
- Ubhadanda Beach & Sagareshwar Temple --- This beach is about 3 kms from Vengurla. Has golden sand , pleasant breeze .It is very clean without any pollution. On the sea shore itself is the Temple of Shiva. Worth visiting.
- Mochemad - at a distance of about 8 kms from Ubhadanda , very beautiful sea shore and greenery. Nice beach . On the way from Vengurla to Redi , from the hill top , the beach can be seen below. Huge Rocks are also an attraction here.
- Vengurla Market – Main market place of the city with many shops. Crawford Market.During May – June , you will find fruits available in plenty and very cheap also . Nearby is the fish market. Cashew nuts / Mangoes available in plenty . Famous for " Khaja " , a sweet dish prepared from joggery.
- Shiroda / Aaravali - can be called as twin villages with a major market place at Shiroda. Sunday is a special day for marketing here. Sea shore is very near. Shiroda is at 8 kms from Vengurla towards Redi.
- Shri Vetoba Temple & Shri Sateri Temple at Aaravali - Both are in Aaravali . Have lot of religious importance in this region. Many devotees here . Worth visitng. The idol of Shri Vetoba's idol is very huge . People offer bunch of bananas to this god. Also some offer big Chappals (so called Kolhapuri ) .It is believed that this god wears these chappals during night and walks around Aaravali. Next day morning if you see the chappals , you get an impression that they were worn earlier.
- Shri Sateri Temple at Parabwada ,Vengurla - one more goddess Sateri Temple in Vengurla at Parabwada.
- Dutch Wakhar(Godown),Vengurla - Dutch traders & British rulers had Vengurla as a commercial centre around 1665.
- Redi Ganesh Temple – This god Ganesh was found in the mines of Redi. It came in the dream of a worker who works in the mine , and asked him to search for him in the mines. When the mines were dug , this Ganesh idol was found underneath . It is a huge idol with only 2 hands. Also a big mouse ( vehicle of Ganesh ) was found there near it. Redi Sea shore is very near from here. Nice view.
- Shri Mauli Temple of Redi- Goddess Mauli is the Gram Devta of Redi region. Has a huge ancient temple.
- Shri Mauli Temple of Shiroda- One more temple of goddess mauli at Shiroda , very near from Shiroda market.
- Shri Ram Purush Temple - One more ancient temple at Kanyale -Redi worth visiting .This also belongs to many Goud Saraswat Brahmins , among others.
- Swayambhu Mahadev Temple at Redi - This is a Swayambhoo (emerged from land on its own) Temple of lord Shiva.
- Purnadasbaba Upaskar Maharaj Samadhi & Shri Vitthal Mandir at Ubhadanda ,Vengurla - Saint at Ubhadanda .Beautiful Vitthal (Vishnu ) Temple worth visiting.
- Redi Port & Fort Yashwantgad -- Again a major sea port of this region . Redi called Redipattan earlier , was /is a famous mining area . Maharashtra state ends here and from Terekhol starts the Goa border , towards the south. Redi is at a distance of 20 kms from Vengurla.
Yeshwantgad fort is said to have lot of importance during days of Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj but lies unattended now.
- Malwan City – At a distance of about 56 kms from Vengurla by Road. Malwan is a major sea port . Famous for its sea fort " Sindhudurg " built by our great Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj . Worth seeing. There are 2 beaches nearby – Malwan beach & Tarkarli beach ( 7 kms from Malwan ). Dhamapur lake at a distance of 15 kms has become a tourist attraction. Towards Masura , at a distance of 15 kms is yet another famous Goddess Bharadi at Aangnewadi , whose Jatra is held annually .
- Raul Maharaj Math at Pinguli -- located at a distance of 25 kms from Vengurla towards kudal. Very peaceful , clean , & beautiful Math . if" Raul Maharaj">
- Shri Tembe Swami Math at Mangaon --- Another famous Math worth visitng for Tembe Swami’s birthplace and God Dattatreya Temple . Located at 25 kms from Vengurla towards Sawantwadi.
- Kunkeshwar Temple & Vijaydurg Fort --- Located on the Mumbai –Goa Highway along the Sea coast. Famous for its Shiva Temple & the Jatra.
- Kudal & Sindhunagari --- Sindhunagari (Oros) is the capital of Sindhudurg district. Kudal is the old capital. Very near from Pinguli.There is a Lakshmi Narayan Temple at Walawal & Kaleshwar Temple at Nerur, very near from Kudal
- Parule --- at about 26 Kms.Adi Narayan Temple (Sun Temple), Bhogwe beach & Nivti Fort are nearby.
- Goa -- Goa border is very near from Redi . By road , at 10 kms is the famous Terekhol fort & River. One has to cross the river in ferry boat which carries four-wheelers also. On the other side is the Keri village of Goa. From Keri , Panaji is at 76 kms , which can be covered within 1 to 1 ½ hours. On the way there are many beaches.
It is possible to visit Goa in one day from Vengurla.
List of Utsavas (Programme) for 2013
Friday 15-02-2013 Magh Shudh Panchami ( Vardhapan Din Utsav) – celebration of 37th anniversary of installation day Shri Devi Navadurga Nutan Pratima
- Laghurudra , Aarti & Mahaprasad
Tuesday 19-02-2013 Magh Shudh Navami (Jatra)
Since 9 am – Mahapooja, Aarti, & Mahaprasad
Indian Music recital in the evening
9 pm onwards – Puran Reading, Kakada, Palakhee, Dashavatari Play followed by Dahikala
Wednesday 20-02-2013 Magh Shudh Dashami
9 am onwards – Devotees Abhisheks, Personal Sevas , followed by Aarti, Mahaprasad
10:30 am – Annual General Meeting of all devotees in Bhojan Kaksh
4 pm onwards – Prize Distribution to school students (Sponsored by Late Shriranga Kamat Tarcar & Bros.)
Felicitations to Senior Bhaktas (above 70 yrs)
Kaul Prasad – Spiritual rituals
Utsava Sangata after prayer to goddess
Monday 25-02-2013 Magha Pournima – Shri Aaja Talkhamba , Ubhadanda Utsav
Saturday 05-10-2013 to Sunday 13-10-2013 Ashwin Shukla Pratipada
(Ghatasthapana) – Navaratri Utsav, Mahanavami Utsav on 13th Oct 2013 – (Laghurudra, Mahapooja, Aarti, Mahaprasad, Palakhee,etc)
Sunday 17-11-2013 Kartik Pournima – Tripurari Pournima Utsav ( Mahapooja, Aarti, Mahaprasad,, Tulasi-Vivaha, Dipamala Pujan, Palakhee)
Monday 18-11-2013 Kartik Krushna Pratipada – Awalipujan & Palakhee Utsav
Monday 02-12-2013 Kartik Krushna Chaturdashi – Shri Kulakar, Ubhadanda – Pooja,Abhishek, Samaradhna
In the month of Shravan – “Jayanchi Pooja” & Varshik Samaradhna – performed by Kamat-Tarcar family
Daily Programmes :
10am to 11 am : Pooja & Abhisheka
12.00 noon to 1.00 pm : Mahanaivedya offered to Shri Navadurga & Baracha Purvas
Aarti at 12:15 noon and 7:15 pm daily
8 pm : Dhooparti
10 pm : Temple is closed
Rituals Carried out in the Devasthan :
--- Abhisheka & Naivedya
--- Tulabhar ( weighing a person with coconuts or sugar or rice or wheat
--- Nandadeep (one week)
--- Nandadeep (one month)
--- Meals to Brahmin & Suvasini & Dakshina
--- Recital of Devi Mahatmya (one week)
--- Dampatya Snana
--- Prasad of Shri Devi Navadurga
--- Lighting of Deepmal
Besides these , some of the devotees perform thread ceremony of their sons at the Devasthan premises.Also some perform " Shri Satyanarayana Pooja " .